5 gallons, extract/specialty grains
- 6 oz. chocolate malt
- 2 oz. black patent malt
- 0.5 lb. crystal malt, 120° Lovibond
- 0.5 lb. wheat malt
- 0.5 lb. victory malt
- 7 lbs. LME
- 1 oz. Chinook hops (13% alpha acid), for 60 min.
- 1 oz. Cascade hops (5.5% alpha acid), for 10 min.
- 1 oz. Saaz or Willamette hops (4% alpha acid), for 2 min.
- 1/2 tsp. Irish moss, for 20 min.
- Irish Ale yeast
Step by Step:
Steep grains at 150° F for 20 minutes in 3 gals. of water. Remove grains and bring the liquid to a boil. Add extract and Chinook hops and bring back to a boil. Boil 40 minutes and add Irish moss. Boil 10 minutes more and add the Cascade hops. Boil 8 more minutes and add the Saaz or Willamette. Total boil is 60 minutes. Cool the wort. Place in fermenter and top off to 5 gals. Pitch yeast when cool enough.After two weeks prime with corn sugar and bottle.